Off-Camera Flash for Beginners
Learning artificial lighting is something that strikes fear in the heart of a lot of photographers, but it does not have to be a scary, unknown thing. If you are new to working with off-camera flash, this helpful video tutorial will get you up and running in no time.
Coming to you from Mike Smith, this fantastic video tutorial will show you the ins and outs of working with off-camera flash. The beauty of off-camera flash is that when you master it, you can create any type of light you want at any given time with no reliance on whatever natural light is available at that moment. It does not have to be purely artificial, though; in fact, one of the best first off-camera shots you can try out is balancing ambient and artificial light for a dramatic sunset portrait. Not only will this give you some very useful practice in building your technical skills, it is a classic shot that you can add to your portfolio and offer to clients. Check out the video above for the full rundown from Smith.
Alex Cooke is a Cleveland-based portrait, events, and landscape photographer. He holds an M.S. in Applied Mathematics and a doctorate in Music Composition. He is also an avid equestrian.cookestudios.comRELATED ARTICLES
EDUCATION / January 9, 2019Stop Using Your iPhone Camera Flash and Try This Easy Hack Instead
GEAR / September 15, 2018The New Profoto B10 Might Be The Ultimate Portable Flash
BTS / August 9, 2018When You Can’t Use a Light Stand: The Drone-Mounted Flash Fashion Shoot
STROBE LIGHT / March 1, 2013PocketWizard Plus X: PW Shakes Up Flash Trigger Market With New Product Offering
PREMIUM PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIALS
Check out the Fstoppers Store for in-depth tutorials from some of the best instructors in the business.Photography 101How to Use Your Digital Camera and Edit Photos in PhotoshopWith Lee MorrisNEWThe Fundamentals of Fashion PhotographyWith Shavonne WongLog in or register to post commentshttps://www.facebook.com/plugins/page.php?adapt_container_width=true&app_id=&channel=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fx%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2F%3Fversion%3D46%23cb%3Df306d4a38866698%26domain%3Dfstoppers.com%26is_canvas%3Dfalse%26origin%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Ffstoppers.com%252Ff30563c896fbbe%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=350&hide_cover=false&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fthefstoppers&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&show_facepile=true&show_posts=false&small_header=true&tabs=falsehttps://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.f88235f49a156f8b4cab34c7bc1a0acc.en.html#dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&screen_name=fstoppers&show_count=true&show_screen_name=true&size=l&time=1631977533163
- Testing Out the New Nikon Z FC Mirrorless Camera With One of the First Photographers to Try It
- A Deeper Look at the Cameras on the New iPhone 13
- Fstoppers Reviews Haida’s NanoPro Magnetic Kit: Essential Filters Made Easy
- This Will Forever Change the Way You Digitize Film: We Review the pixl-latr
- We Review The Logitech G600 Mouse: Photoshop Gamechanger
- This Free Photoshop Clone May Have You Canceling Your Adobe Subscription
- If Mirrorless Is the Future of the Camera, then the Smartphone Is the Future of Photography
- It’s Time to Stop Shooting Sausage Machine Photos
- 3 Reasons the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 Is My Favorite Lens of All Time
- Make Complex Masks in Lightroom in Just Five Seconds
- Adventures in Self-Portraiture: We Interview Anna Isabella Christensen
- 5 Tips to Pass Your First Portfolio Review With Flying Colors!