nullSkip to main contentOPEN NAVIGATION MENU
A New Wave of Designers Is Bringing Sexy Back
BY MADELINE FASSOctober 7, 2021
Earlier this year, “The Get” published a piece all about clothing that offered what we called the elegant reveal—peepholes and cutouts that exposed only a bit of skin on summer-ready, lightly colored garments. We also tracked trends such as the bra as a top and tight, body-conscious knitwear. Fast forward to New York Fashion Week and the rest of fashion month, and let’s just say things are not so subtle anymore.
There’s no better way to describe it other than what it is—sexy is back. Yes, it’s exposed skin, sheer fabrics, and well-placed cutouts, but it’s important to note that this new era of sexy is softer, more inventive, and detail oriented. In addition to the well-known designers doing just that—say, Saint Laurent, Tom Ford, Jacquemus, and Versace—there’s a new batch of names to know. London’s Nensi Dojaka, Sydney’s Dion Lee, and one of Emily Ratajkowski’s new favorite labels out of Los Angeles, Aya Muse, are all creating delightfully delicate, wonderfully sexy pieces you can wear now.Tom Ford Spring 2022; Saint Laurent Spring 2022; David Koma Spring 2022; Nensi Dojaka Spring 2022; Coperni Spring 2022; Maryam Nassir Zadeh Spring 2022; LaQuan Smith Spring 2022Photo: Filippo Fior / Gorunway.com; Alessandro Lucioni / Gorunway.com; Courtesy of David Koma; Daniele Oberrauch; Courtesy of Coperni; Madison Voelkel / Courtesy of Maryam Nassir Zadeh; Filippo Fior / Gorunway.com
Very-sheer mesh dresses, corseted blazers, barely there thin straps, cutouts on the hips, and extremely low scooped backs are just a few of the ways to indulge in the sultry trend—and this way of dressing doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. According to the most recent spring 2022 collections, this mood and attitude are here to stay. Nensi Dojaka, Coperni, Maryam Nassir Zadeh, Tom Ford, David Koma, LaQuan Smith, and Saint Laurent all sent models down their runways in soft, sexy looks. There were cutout catsuits, bikini and bra tops paired with low-slung pants and skirts, lots of black mesh ensembles, and itty-bitty cutout dresses.
Ahead, shop our edit from this new wave of designers bringing sexy back.
All products featured on Vogue are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
- 1/15Nensi Dojaka tulle and gabardine mini dress with bra$1,877LUISA VIA ROMASHOP NOWnull
- 2/15Saint Laurent logo mesh bodysuit$490MYTHERESASHOP NOWADVERTISEMENThttps://b828ef3906098df791b04f51017d8282.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
- 3/15Dion Lee suspended lace wool-blend bustier jacket$1,490FARFETCHSHOP NOW
- 4/15Jacquemus La Maille cropped linen top$165SELFRIDGESSHOP NOWRELATED VIDEO null
- 5/15LaQuan Smith asymmetrical wool minidress$895MODA OPERANDISHOP NOWMORE FROM VOGUE
- 6/15Saint Laurent latex dress$2,390NET-A-PORTERSHOP NOW
- 7/15Aya Muse Electra open-back Jersey tie-neck maxi dress$450AYA MUSESHOP NOW
- 8/15Tom Ford laced asymmetric swimsuit$1,150TOM FORDSHOP NOW
- 9/15Miaou thong pants$265MIAOUSHOP NOW
- 10/15Jacquemus La Chemise Notte open logo-plaque satin blouse$570MATCHESFASHION.COMSHOP NOW
- 11/15Versace Medusa satin miniskirt$695VERSACESHOP NOW
- 12/15Nensi Dojaka sheer tulle double top$643LUISA VIA ROMASHOP NOW
- 13/15Aya Muse Baojin knit bra top$280MODA OPERANDISHOP NOWMORE FROM VOGUE
- 14/15Christopher Esber embellished midi-skirt$905MYTHERESASHOP NOW
- 15/15Dion Lee lace insert wool-blend corset dress$1,490FARFETCHSHOP NOW
More from Vogue
See More Stories
- COOKIES SETTINGS
CN Fashion & BeautySelect international siteUnited States